Just a brief report on the SpecFicNZ Grand Meet-Up that convened at Context, Saturday, June 4th, 2011 at 5pm.
We had a fantastic turn-out with approximately 20 in attendance.
Ripley gave a brief overview of all SpecFicNZ has accomplished over its first ten months in existence, including
- Officially launching our org and our website on August 28th, 2010.
- Sponsoring our 2nd annual NZ Spec Fic Blogging Week in September
- Becoming an official incorporated society in November.
- Launching local face-to-face meet-ups, now occurring monthly in Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland, and on the Kapiti Coast.
- Holding our first short story contest in March (with cash and publication prizes).
- Redesigning our monthly e-newsletter, which is now on it’s 21st issue.
- Offering our first member taught writing workshops at Context (taught by Grant Stone and Ripley Patton).
- Featuring 9 different members on the SJV final ballot with 14 different nominations.
- Passing the 85 member mark.
After Ripley’s talk, there was time for questions and new member sign-up and renewal back at the Treasurer’s table with Andrew. Six new members signed up with many other members taking advantage of the renewal special.
Then Ripley did a draw for various SpecFicNZ prizes, and invited everyone to meet-up and talk with one another, which attendees happily did.
Many from the gather then went out for a wonderful dinner of Indian food on Parnell Street.
A fabulous time was had by all.