*this contest is now closed*
SpecFicNZ is excited to announce Going Global, a novel manuscript contest run by two indie presses, one in NZ and one in the USA. Prizes include critiques, books, cash, and a chance at getting published internationally! Both publishers use international distribution to get you selling on all available online channels in print and ebook.
Meet the publishers –
“Hello! I’m Grace Bridges, the current president of SpecFicNZ. In 2009 I started Splashdown Books to publish family-friendly speculative fiction and we now have 26 titles out. However, the authors I publish have all been from elsewhere in the world and so I am opening a new imprint for Kiwi writers only – Waitemata Books. The Going Global contest with SpecFicNZ is its first call for submissions. What I’m after: Full novels of at least 50,000 words, with a strong New Zealand focus. I have a strong fondness for science fiction and also enjoy fantasy and supernatural, but not horror.”
“For this contest, Port Yonder Press is seeking those manuscripts with a strong New Zealand flavour, plenty of lovely local description, and would prefer the work has a slightly literary feel (i.e., careful word choices). We’d also like to see most any speculative genre except for horror, uber-bizarro, and too-weird weird fiction. We’d prefer that the language, violence, and sexual content generally not rise above a strong PG13 rating. We’re looking forward to reading your very best work! Please read this blog-post for our quality guidelines.”
- Entry Format: Attachment as .doc, .docx or .rtf file, with NO identifying of the author in content or filename. Include the title in the file name, shortened if necessary, and put your name and the title of your work in the accompanying email.
- Include at the beginning of the document a one-paragraph “cover blurb” of your story.
- Include the first 2,500 words of the manuscript. Manuscripts DO NOT have to be complete, but you may be offered a contract if you can deliver in full within 6 months.
- Deadline: midnight, 4th March New Zealand time. NOTE: the deadline has been extended to Tuesday April 2nd, 2013
- Multiple entries are allowed.
- Non-members of SpecFicNZ may enter, although if you are not a member you will not be eligible to win some of the prizes. Click here to join SpecFicNZ.
- Deep critiques of your 2,500 words, for the top four entries (two from each publisher).
- Top four get to choose a book as a prize from the publishers’ catalogues.
- Chance of a publishing contract from either publisher – not necessarily limited to the four winners!
- SpecFicNZ members only: – Cash prizes if you make it into the top four as judged by the publishers, the money to be awarded by SpecFicNZ. First place $100, Second place $50, Third and Fourth places $25 each.
Get polishing those novels and send your entries to:
Specficnz(DOT)fiction(AT)gmail(DOT)com before midnight, 2nd April 2013, New Zealand time.