Winner of the Horror Writers Association Bram Stoker Award for best collection!
Three-time Bram Stoker Award® nominee (and with this book, now a winner!) Lee Murray delivers her debut collection, and it is monstrous. Inspired by the mythology of Europe, China, and her beloved Aotearoa-New Zealand, Murray twists and subverts ancient themes, stitching new creatures from blood and bone, hiding them in soft forest mists and dark subterranean prisons.
In this volume, construction workers uncover a hidden tunnel; soldiers wander, lost after a skirmish; and a dead girl yearns for company. Featuring eleven uncanny tales of automatons, zombies, golems, and dragons, and the Taine McKenna adventure Into the Clouded Sky, Lee Murray’s Grotesque: Monster Stories breathes new life into the monster genre.
11 short stories from the imagination of New Zealand's multiple award-winning author and editor Lee Murray! With a foreword by USA Today bestselling author David Wood, the book has already received outstanding praise and reviews, including the following:-
- “With Grotesque: Monster Stories, Lee Murray proves she is a first-rate talent! These stories are fascinating, unexpected, and scary as hell!” — Jonathan Maberry, New York Times bestselling author of Rage and V-Wars.
- “Action, thrills, monsters, awesome!” — USA Today bestselling author, David Wood.
- “Keep calm and buckle up! From traveling to the dark side of exotic locales to visiting those familiar places you only thought you knew, author Lee Murray flexes her talent and range in this debut collection.” — Rena Mason, award winning author of The Evolutionist and East End Girls.
- “Murray’s tales run the gamut of the horror spectrum, from horrifying to terrifying to heartbreaking. There is a story for everyone in this wonderful collection.” — Tom Deady, Bram Stoker Award-winning author of Haven.
- “It has been said creating is a path of immortality; Murray’s engaging tales bring us into the dream time of imagination, mixing her unique dark stories and the Māori culture to create a collection existing outside of time, taking us with it.” — Linda D. Addison, award-winning author and HWA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient.
- “Murray’s formidable imagination is laid bare here, presenting a dizzying array of monsters from around the world – leaping effortlessly from ancient reanimated soldiers in the Loire Valley, to Māori demons, to horrors even closer to home: the monsters within our own families.” — Aaron Sterns, Wolf Creek 2, Wolf Creek: Origin