Code of Conduct for SpecFicNZ-Related Communications
This Code of Conduct covers the following: –
- All online SpecFicNZ-related activity, including activity on the SpecFicNZ website
- All offline SpecFicNZ-related communications and events.
- All SpecFicNZ-related activity using social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
It is expected that all our members will behave in a professional, respectful manner towards all other members.
- Be accountable
- Be mindful of confidentiality issues
- Be professional in our work and in our dealings with others
- Should a conflict of interest arise, please be as open as is practicably possible
Please refrain from the following behaviours: –
- Engaging in behaviour that is disturbing or upsetting to another person
- Engaging in discussions of a contentious kind, e.g. relating to religion or politics, except for when such discussions are directly related to writing.
- Overly critical critiques, or critiques of an unduly personal nature.
Where critiques are undertaken to improve our writing, find something constructive to say and say it in a constructive manner, or say nothing at all.
- Posting derogatory statements about any group, e.g., abilities/disabilities, ages, ethnicities, genders, races, religions and sexual orientations.
When these kinds of threads are unrelated to writing, drift away from writing, or become overly contentious, they will be closed by moderators.
- Threatening behaviour of any kind.
This will result in a warning. If it is deemed that the member deliberately meant harm to another person, emotionally or physically, that person may be banned instantly and with no further warning.
- Using derisive language, either directly or indirectly towards other SpecFicNZ members.
Active engagement in any of the above behaviour with be brought to the attention of the Core Committee
Breaches of the Code of Conduct
Where a breach of the SpecFicNZ Code of Conduct is reported to the Core Committee, this will be handled discreetly. Information will be shared on a ‘need to know’ basis only and all people questioned should be reminded of their responsibilities to maintain confidentiality.
Any investigation will be handled with a view that the person who is alleged to have breached the Code of Conduct will: –
- Be presumed innocent until proven guilty
- Have the right to respond to allegations made against them
Depending on the nature of the breach, the outcome may be as follows: –
- Formal warning
- Removal from SpecFicNZ membership
If anyone in SpecFicNZ is exhibiting behaviour that makes you feel uncomfortable, please inform one of the Core Committee immediately.
If you observe behaviour in another member that may have made someone else uncomfortable, immediately contact a Core Committee member. Do not attempt to manage this yourself.
If you feel that a member of the Core Committee is harassing you, please speak to another committee member.
SpecFicNZ, being a private forum, does not guarantee free speech where such speech violates our Code of Conduct.
This Code of Conduct applies to all members of SpecFicNZ.