Register Here (tickets on sale from 9 October)
Presenter: Barbara Ashford
Sunday 11 December, 12-2 pm
This workshop will explore ways to help participants add tension, drama, and power to their scenes by:
- reviewing the fundamentals of scene design–from overall shape to individual beats;
- exploring the characteristics of effective scenes and the common pitfalls that can undermine their impact;
- using changes in polarity and the answer to scene questions to analyze scene effectiveness;
- identifying inner and outer turning points in a scene and using beats to deepen characterization, conflict, and emotional turning points;
- discussing ways to hook readers and prompt them to turn the page.
Barbara Ashford is the pseudonym of writer Barbara Campbell.
Barbara is the author of five novels published by DAW Books: the dark fantasy trilogy Trickster’s Game (Heartwood, Bloodstone, Foxfire) and the award-winning fantasy-romance Spells at the Crossroads (Spellcast, Spellcrossed). In addition to her fiction, Barbara has written book and lyrics for more than a dozen musicals, including Far from the Madding Crowd, which was optioned for Broadway.
Barbara has been an instructor with the Odyssey Writing Workshop for a decade and a member of its critique service for fifteen years. She is also a developmental editor, specializing in speculative fiction; her clients have won publishing contracts and awards, including Grand Prize in the Jim Baen Memorial Short Story Award.