Five members met at Cafe Seven for the October Christchurch meet-up. We’re going to try an experiment with recording “nuggets” from the meet-ups that may be of interest to other members. If other areas would like to collect and post their meet-up nuggets, please email them to specficnz(at)gmail.com.
Thanks to Mark for taking these notes:
Amanda Fitzwater – new sale to Expanded Horizons (very friendly helpful staff)
Mark English – Flash Fiction sale to Everyday Fiction (very helpful reviewers)
- Something About Kevin (forthcoming movie)
- Highlander (a favourite of some, felt to be dated by others)
- Knights of Badassdom (forthcoming movie about LARPers)
- Hanna (stylish thriller)
- Iain M Banks – Surface Detail (8th Culture Novel) – excellent
- Iain M Banks – Use of Weapons – strong example of non-linear narrative
- Jim C. Hines – Stepsister Scheme – Sleeping Beauty is an assassin …
- Scott Westerfeld – Goliath – good read, quick for adult, ideas great
- Stephen Saylor – fiction set in actual historical location (Roman-era private investigator)
- Dan Simmons – Drood – textbook example of unreliable narrator
Comets and Criminals – newly launched online paying magazine.
What makes a pro-sale? US5c / word – see SFWA for details.
SF Writers of the Future – no pro sale needed to enter!